If your teeth are healthy but do not look good and you want to reshape them with the least loss of tooth material, then the solution can be dental veneers for you. It is also veeners that solve your problem if you are not satisfied with the colour of your front teeth and teeth whitening does not improve the apperance of your teeth.
A veneer is a very thin layer of porcelain or composite that covers the front part of your front tooth. They are like fake fingernails fitted over your nails.
Veneers are used in many cases when orthodontics (braces) can not be applied to close interdental space or would last too long to achive desired results. This is also a sloution to compensate for a little bit broken or chipped front tooth or in case a tooth is not completely in line with your other front teeth. In addition, if your teeth got discoloured or stained due to medications or coffee consumption, veneers can restore the natural white colour of your teeth if bleachuing was not effective.
This is advised to treat all broken and chipped teeth not only for aesthetic reasons because all minor dental problems may lead to big ones if they are not treated. If your teeth are worned or you grind your teeth while sleeping then you can not have veneers so you will be recommended stronger and more durable solutions like crowns.
It takes a dental consultation to determine if you are suitable for veneers or you need other types of cosmetic dental treatments. The advantage of veneers is that only a very thin layer of tooth enamel must be removed and after preparation a special glue is needed to keep them in place.
If you are a dental tourism patient then this treatment can be performed in a 3-5 day visit to Budapest, depending on the number of teeth need veneers. Treatment itself is very gentle and local anesthesia is not always needed as neither drilling nor root canal is needed. During the first appointment a very thin layer of the enamel is removed and the dentist takes impression of the teeth treated. Then you choose the preferred colour of your veneers using a shade guide. After the first appointment it is highly likely that you do not need to wear temporary veneers because your teeth will look the same as they were before treatment. The only difference can be that they are less shiny and smooth. The dental lab prepares your veneers and during the second appointment your dentist will glue or cement them to place. To make your veneers last long you have to maintain the same oral hygine as before and do not chew and bite extra hard things like nuts with front teeth. Veneers are metal free and do not get discoloured and scratched. Tiny chips can be fixed, but after a while they need to be changed for your perfect smile.
These days there are two types of veneers available.
Direct composite veneers are of the same material as white aesthetic composite fillings. This type of veneers is cheaper and more affordable and perfect for cases where little cracks must be covered. Not only cover they the damaged part of your front teeth but they also protect the rest of your front teeth. The downside of composite veneers is that they are not so lasting so replacement is more often needed. The price of a direct composite veneer at our Budapest clinic is: 199EUR/140GBP.
E-max veneers are all porcelain veneers. The quality and durability of them are second to none. They are very popular as they can make a complete match to your existing teeth and it is nearly impossible to differentiate them from your own teeth. The price of an E-max veneer at our Budapest clinic is: 329EUR/256GBP.
Information on conserving dental veneers
During the consultation, your therapist informs you on the given intervention in details. This informative supply aims at refreshing what has been heard and summarising the answers of the most frequent questions.
1. In case the front teeth are tarnished and greyish, and bleaching is not efficient (e.g. acquired tetracycline disease)
2. In case the shape of front teeth is not appropriate.
3. In case of connatal teratism dental enamel and dentin (enamel and dentin hypoplasia).
4. In case of state abnormality of front parts that may not be regulated with dental care or the patient does not wish it to be regulated.
5. In case of diastema of front teeth.
6. In case the patient is not satisfied with his/her smile.
7. In case a part of front tooth has broken off and it is not suggested to repair with filling.
One may decide at previous smile-design that which teeth need veneers. The colour and even the shape of incisors, canines and premolars may be modified with bonding veneers.
During treatment, 0.6-0.7 mms from external surface and 1.5 mms from edge surface are eliminated. Impression is made from prepared teeth that provides the base of veneers carried out by dental technician. For the perfect occlusion of upper and lower arch, we need antagonist, namely the opposite arch of the prepared teeth, impression. At the first treatment, the prepared dental surface is covered by temporary veneers. The colour of veneers is decided at impression-taking.
Dental technique works require approximately 3-5 days. Waiting period may be reduced upon paying urgency charge. During previous smile-design, one may precisely decide on the shape, size and location of teeth. Veneersare made of composite or of ceramics.
Temporary veneers are made of composite based material or composite material and are attached to prepared tooth surface immediately after grinding. Temporary veneers are used chiefly due to aesthetic reasons. Chewing and biting functions are of lower intensity.
Subsequent to treatment:
1. Teeth may be sensitive to cold or warm. This is a natural accompanist of treatment. (In case of severe pain, we kindly ask you to consult your dentist).
2. Temporary veneers may slide off due to significant dynamic effect.
3. The surface of temporary veneers may be raspier than the surface of regular teeth.
4. The gum or the location of injection may be sensitive subsequent to treatment.
Subsequent to attaching:
1. Teeth may be sensitive to warm and cold for a few weeks.
2. Certain parts may impede the perfect occlusion.
3. Gluing material remains on the surface.
1. Temporary veneers may fall of due to mechanical effects (clashing of teeth, bite, teeth gritting).
2. Due to the impact of treatment, dental pulp inflames and tooth requires root canal treatment.
3. In very rare occasions, the attached veneer may fall off. This may be caused by nocturnal teeth gritting or incorrect biting.
Attaching veneers is carried out 3-5 days later, normally under anaesthesia.
1. After attaching veneers, new material and new shape is inserted in mouth. Both lips and tongue shall get used to the new conditions. During accustoming, one may consider teeth smaller or bigger than their original size is.
2. Muscle tones of lips shall accustom to new teeth, too. The sliding of upper and lower lips on tooth surface may be unusual when laughing or talking.
3. The modified air flow during talking and phonation may be atypical for a few days or perhaps for a week.
4. One may encounter sensitivity to cold or warm after the attaching. It ceases within a few days, however, in certain cases a few weeks.
Warranty may be claimed for breaking and cracking of veneers that is not caused by accident, psychic or acquired bruxism or new hobby (e.g. taking up piping etc.). Warranty lasts for two years and may be claimed when patient participates in the half-year follow-up examination and the dental hygienic consultation.
Warranty may not be claimed:
1. upon aesthetic consideration (e.g. one desires other shaped tooth of different colour)
2. In case of decaying of tooth
3. In case patient does not participate in the half-year follow-up examination and the dental hygienic consultation.
Home care and cleaning:
It is inevitable to take a proper care of teeth. Regular use of adequate tooth brush, tooth paste and dental floss is required. Cleaning of teeth is carried out in compliance with the advice and guide of dental hygienist (dental hygienic consultation).
Some facts about veneers
1. Did you know that the aesthetic composite veneer is usually applied to the front teeth? This is because they are very thin and in most cases they are for covering up tiny aesthetic differences or treat minor defects.
2. Did you know that conventional veneers are already used in such cases when a dental crown is not necessary, yet?
3. Did you know that veneers can also be made of resin, and it is put layer by layer on the tooth or teeth?
4. Did you know that the color of veneers is the same as the surrounding teeth, so they are invisible?
5. Did you know that conventional veneers are most often used to treat broken or chipped teeth?